How to make french toast at home using giant crumpets
If you thought my Choco-nana Raspberry Ripple protein pancakes were bomb then let me tell you, I have levelled up. Le-vell-ed UP. I’m taking a classic french toast recipe and swapping the bread for crumpets – but not just any crumpets… giant crumpets. If you can’t get your sticky mitts on any giant crumpets at the moment – I mean, we are in the midst of a global pandemic – then your standard crumpet will more than suffice.
I’m not much of a chef so as with all of my recipes, this one is super easy so feel free to embellish it in any way you see fit. You’ll notice I use protein powder in my mix but feel free to skip on that if a) you don’t have any in your cupboard, or b) you’re just not that way inclined. Also, feel free to swap out my toppings of choice for your own – honey, maple syrup, greek yoghurt, granola, seeds, nuts and any other dried or fresh fruit would work just fine.
- 2 giant crumpets (or 4 regular size ones)
- 2 whole medium/large eggs
- 2 tbsp of your chosen milk (I used Oatly)
- Tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- Cap of vanilla extract
- Scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- Toppings of your choice (I went for golden syrup, raspberries and banana)
- Coconut oil (or whatever you usually fry in)
Quick, easy, healthy breakfast idea that’s packed with protein and fibre
- Put your eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla extract and protein powder into a blender and whizz it up until it’s smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a pasta bowl. Not a plate and not a cereal bowl. We need width AND depth here, people.
- Heat your oil up in a pan on medium-high heat.
- Soak your giant crumpet (or 2 regular sized crumpets) in the mixture for a few minutes, flipping a couple of times.
- Put your crumpet(s) into the hot frying pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side (or until cooked through and crisp on the outside)
- Flip onto a plate and go to town with your toppings!
Now we’ve got breakfast sorted, check out my Chinese takeaway-style Shredded Satay Chicken with honey, clementine, garlic and egg fried rice for healthy dinner inspiration.
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram or Twitter if you give any of my recipes a go: @hihungryharriet